Parents and caregivers are always on the lookout for baby products that can help them assist in their parenting journey. They want to make this time easier and more convenient so that they can enjoy bringing up their kids. Babies of all ages, whether newborns or toddlers, demand attention of their parents at all times which makes it really hard for the moms and dads to manage the household and other work. Baby carrier is a wonderful invention that helps such busy moms and dads in solving this dilemma. Wearing a baby in a baby carrier helps in two ways. First the baby or a toddler feels secure in the arms of the parents or feel close to their loved ones while the carrying mom or dad get their hands free to do other work while carrying the baby.
Top 3 Baby Carriers For Big Babies in 2020
- Breathable, lightweight all-mesh carrier
- All carry positions, including ergonomic, forward facing option
- USE the whole baby carrier or the single hip-seat. Different positions that suit baby.It...
- 6 ways to carry baby for you TO choose according to your baby’s growth, details in paper...
- Updated in fall 2015 to create a more comfortable and ergonomic carrying experience
- JPMA Certified Product designed to safely grow with your baby from newborn to 3 years - no...
If you have a baby that is bigger or heavier than average babies around you and you feel worried that it won’t fit into a baby carrier, you’re fortunately wrong. Baby carriers are available in a vast variety in all sorts of shapes and sizes to serve all sorts of baby sizes and even parents sizes. For a baby carrier to work perfectly, it needs to match the size of the baby and the carrying parent as well. Also if you have a toddler who gets tried easily and wants to be held sometime especially when you go outdoors for long walks, you can still find a perfectly good baby carrier that is best for toddlers or heavier babies.
Types of Baby Carriers
Before choosing a baby carrier you first need to know the four main types of baby carriers that are available in the market. That will help you choose which type suits you most so that you can start narrowing down your options.
Wraps are available in an unassembled form so you can wear and adjust it according to you and your baby’s size and needs. It is a large fabric that is wrapped and tied across the body involving both shoulders and let the baby sit inside it. This type of baby carrier is popular amongst parents because they feel very secure, comfortable and huggable.
Ring Slings come in form of a small pouch that is worn over one shoulder and tied across the body to create a hammock like pouch or carrier. This type of baby carrier also offers hip carrying which is a preferred position for toddlers or heavy bigger babies.
Structured Carriers or buckle carrier comes in the form of a sturdy backpack styles carrier that can be worn easily with buckles and zips. They are the more luxurious type of baby carrier and offers many different features for the ease and comfort of the parents.
Meh Dias are a cross between wraps and structured carriers. They are convenient and easy to use and are supposed to be tied instead of buckled up.
How to Choose a Baby Carrier For Big Babies
If you have a bigger baby or your toddler still wants to be held you can buy a size friendly baby carrier that allows for extra adjustments and can bear more weight. Parents of bigger and heavier babies can also enjoy the benefits, like security and comfort, of a baby carrier. We have jotted down some points to help you decide what to consider while buying a baby carrier for big babies.
- Buy a baby carrier that nurtures space for a growing baby. So the baby carrier can accommodate and support the growing body and baby's weight and get it evenly distributed on the carrier’s body. A good baby carrier for big babies or toddlers would be one with larger size offerings and a variety of extendable adjustments that can be changed as a baby grows.
- Getting a baby carrier that is easier for the parent to change the carry position of the baby without any help is the best kind of baby carrier. Wearing a heavier baby for a long period of time can be tiresome so you might need to shift the baby to another position after sometime. A convertible baby carrier lets you do that alone so you need to find a baby carrier that comes with multiple carry positions that can be easily switched.
- Wearing bigger, heavier and older babies for a long period of time can result in overheating for both the baby and the carrying parent. To avoid the heat, you need to consider those baby carriers that are made of breathable fabric like linen or 100% cotton. Some baby carriers also come with additional mesh panels especially at the back of the baby to increase the airflow and help them to cool off easily. This feature is extremely helpful in summers or if you live in a hot climate place.
- Bigger or older baby means more weight to carry and manage for the carrier. To make this experience comfortable, you need to consider baby carrier that supports bigger, older and heavier babies and distributes their weight evenly across your body. It’s important to note here that the weight should be supported by your back and torso instead of your arms and shoulders. So you need to make the carrying position and adjustments in a way that you feel comfortable while carrying your baby and don’t feel tired or overburdened. Moreover, buy a baby carrier that comes with the extra lumbar support and comfortable waist belt so that your body feels at ease and relaxed while carrying your baby.
- The way you carry the baby is also important for baby’s health. You need to make sure that the baby’s knees are brought up at the same level as their hips to avoid the development of hip dysplasia especially during their infancy. It is crucial that the baby’s thighs are well supported way up to their knees so that all the weight of their legs don’t fall on their hips.